David Muskhelishvili – Doctor of Historical Sciences (1973), Head of Department of Historical Geography at Ivane Javakhishvili Institute of History and Ethnography of the Georgian Scientific Academy (1967), Real Member of the Scientific National Academy of Georgia (1993), Head of Ivane Javakhishvili Institute of History and Ethnology (1999-2006).
Head of Commission of History, Archeology and Ethnology of Scientific National Academy of Georgia (2007 - present).
One of the founders and Head of the Board of Scientific Centre for Historical, Ethnological, Religious Studies and Propaganda (2006 - present).
Laureate of the Ivane Javakhishvili Premium of Scientific National Academy of Georgia for the work – “Atlas of the Georgian History” (2008).
Editor-in-Chief of the journal “Analebi”.
Sphere of scientific interests: the Georgian history of middle centuries; social-economical, political and cultural relations, archeology of Georgia, historical relations between the Georgian and Caucasian people from Eneolithic era to the late middle centuries, etc.
He is the author of more than 150 monographs, books, booklets, scientific and publicistic articles. Among them are:
- Castle and City – Ujarma, Tbilisi, “Metsniereba”, 1996.
- Main Issues of Historical Geography of Georgia, Volume I, Tbilisi, “Metsniereba”, 1977.
- Archeological Materials of Khovle, Tbilisi, “Metsniereba”, 1978.
- Main Issues of Historical Geography of Georgia, Volume II, Tbilisi, “Metsniereba”, 1977.
- From Historical Geography of Eastern Georgia (in Russian language), Tbilisi, “Metsniereba”, 1982.
- Old History of Kiziki, Tbilisi, 1997.
- Atlas of the Georgian History (co-authors: D. Berdzenishvili, J.Gvasalia, etc.).
- Georgia in I-III centuries, Tbilisi, “Mematiane”, 2003.
- Short History of Georgia, Tbilisi, 2008.